Food Buzz Badge

Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Person Could Develop a Cold

I told you so.

Specifically, I told you that the trip to Fairbanks was the straw that broke this traveler's back.  I, who am never sick, have a cold.  A sinus-dripping, reddened-nose kind of cold. 

Miserable.

The only good thing about this is that it has led to my being home more than expected this weekend, which in turn has led to cooking.  Fortunately, I am not feeding anyone other than David (who has the same cold), so the odds of contaminating anyone with my germs are minimal.

The Great Focaccia Experiment of 2012 is continuing, with yesterday's batch with olives and rosemary--for the basic recipe, go here--and while I was going through some old magazines, I found this one.  The green onion and mustard flavors are subtle and incredibly tasty, an assessment which I trust will hold when the cold clears.

The recipe was written to be cooked on a grill, but it adapts easily to an oven.



Mustard-Crusted Chicken with Green Onions
Adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine, August 2010

1 small bunch green onions, chopped
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
6 large chicken thighs, with skin
2 tbsp. fresh breadcrumbs, toasted

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Stir together the first five ingredients in a small bowl.  Place the chicken thighs in a baking dish skin side up.  Brush them with olive oil and then coat with the mustard sauce.

Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and cover the dish with aluminum foil.  Cook for 25 minutes and then either slice into a chicken thigh to check for doneness or use a meat thermometer--chicken is done when it registers 165 degrees on a meat thermometer.


24 comments:

  1. Awww, hope you feel better my friend! Though I am sure this dish certainly cheered you up :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, hope both of you are feeling better now. When I have a cold, I just can't get to do any cooking and the most is boiling some soup. Then the bread slices from the fridge to go with it. Admire that you can still prepare a meal.

    Nice and love that mustard and rolled over bread crumbs chicken pieces. I can imagine the crunch on top esp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you two are under the weather.
    The chicken looks really delicious paired with snap peas and Focaccia.
    Get well soon!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that you are not feeling well. The mustard glaze sounds easy and delicious. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm new to your blog, but already I love the idea of the great focaccia experiment of 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're on the mend! Am loving this recipe, will follow your focaccia adventure closely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing more comforting than this wonderful chicken and a nice, warm piece of foccacia! I hope you are on the mend soon! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious idea for chicken thighs, and a wonderful warm meal to cozy up to especially when you're feeling under the weather. Here's hoping you get better soon! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure hope you are feeling better!!!! I have never made focaccia, I am lazy and buy it at Sam's but now you have motivated me. (and the chicken looks great)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, I hope you get better!
    And the chicken glaze sounds fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feel better everyone here I know has either had it or got it now ....keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should be sitting in front of TV with a cup of tea or a bowl of soup, not cooking. But I tell you that chicken with Dijon mustard would be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry to hear you got sick. Me too, I rarely caught cold when I didn't have kids (or before having kids). What happened to me, probably my age or kids who constantly bring sick from school, I who don't get sick am getting sick too often! Mustard flavor on chicken must be so good! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sorry you are sick, I made my trek to the doctor since over the counter stuff did not cut it. Definitely on the road to recovery and I hope you are as well.
    Your chicken dish here looks tasty. I do love using dijon with chicken.
    Have a nice evening and get better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry to hear you have a cold! Sounds like you made the best of it, your recipe is yummy. Turn it into a Mustard Crusted and Green Onion Chicken soup and you'll be all better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you start feeling better soon!

    This chicken looks great! I usually hate mustard, but dijon mustard is the only kind I will usually eat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Feel better soon! Colds frustrate me...hope yours is short-lived! I love this chicken dish :) Chicken is a favorite in my house and I am definitely always game for something new.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Colds are miserable and annoying. I had a cold almost every few weeks the beginning of this school year because my kids would bring the germs home. I also hate to cook when I'm sick because I can't taste the food properly. This chicken looks wonderful so looks like your taste-buds are still working. Drink plenty of hot fluids and rest!! I hope you are 100% soon. ~ Ramona :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, yeah, this chicken recipe looks wonderful. I think I had your same cold last weekend...my first in a couple years...ugh. Hope you feel better soon, my friend~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw hope you are feeling better by now...that chicken recipe sounds delish....

    ReplyDelete
  21. aw yuck, hope you feel better soon! I've had the same nasty sinus cold too, I think we all just need summer asap! Your chicken dish looks delicious, and its so hard to beat homemade foccaccia, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Feel better! I do love cooking when I am miserable though. It's about the only thing I love to do when I am miserable :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for all the good wishes--still a little under the weather here, but this too shall pass! The great focaccia experiment will continue, have no fear.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cooking is good mental therapy for me, but I don't do much when I feel yuck! This chicken might make me feel better though. Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete